Friday, January 7, 2011

New Year, New Goals, New logo...

Instead of making a list or resolutions to achieve this year, I decided to choose a word or phrase( in my case) to follow. I noticed a few other illustrator/designer/creative people who's blogs I follow have opted to have a "word of the year", and I thought it was a grand idea!

So for 2011 my phrase is: Be brave, and go for it. Basically I plan to keep saying this to myself as a little mantra, whenever I feel like I'm stepping out of my comfort zone. Which...may be often, as I am a very shy person by nature, and I have always found it kinda difficult to put myself out there with out the fear of rejection.
I think many of us have this fear, and we need to just be brave, and go for it. Easier said than done I think. But I have come to realize that I need to embrace my fears. All that jittery, butterflies-in-the-stomach, what- if-this-doesn't-work-out fear, could also be deep rooted excitement  because I am finally realizing and following my dream career!
 I have to thank my wonderful hubby and family and friends for being the little nudge(read big shove) behind me, who cheer me on, and I also want to thank  Michelle Ward, a career coach extraordinaire . Although I have never had the pleasure of speaking with her in person, I have found her blog, especially  her Tough Question Tuesdays to be very insightful and helpful. Thanks Michelle!!

So to start off 2011, I am getting down to business and checking things off my list from last year-ekk.
I redesigned my logo. There is it up above this long post. I love it. I think it really shows my personality and is totally me.

I have joined Twitter. And boy is it fun! I followed along on the #kidlitart Thursday night 9pm twitter chat last night. why the heck I didn't do this sooner.... what a perfect networking tool to follow the "pulse" of Children's book illustration, and to meet many more in the industry.

I also joined SCBWI. I had joined CANSCAIP last year, and now I will have many more opportunities to gain insight and meet other illustrators and industry people.

I plan to enter some other illustration/art competitions too, more details on those to follow another day.
 
So I've been a busy girl these first weeks of January 2011. And I've got some momentum now to get the other stuff checked off from last years list...website..portfolio series...character study..facebook...
 I am proud of myself for being so proactive and brave. My mantra is working!

Now if I could just get to folding all that laundry that's been patiently waiting since I joined Twitter-hmmmmm

2 comments:

Thomas James said...

Great phrase, Suzanne. Pushing out of your comfort zone is the best, or maybe only way to create positive change. Keep up the great work!
Thomas

Suzanne Del Rizzo said...

Thomas, thanks so much for the visit! Your video on how to stay motivated was sooo funny and true!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails