Monday, July 12, 2010

Arrrrr matey...



I did a few rough sketches last night for a portfolio series idea. I have so many family photos of my boys dressed up as pirates, so I thought, that would be a great theme for a series of portfolio illustrations that show continuity of character, different perspectives, and different facial expressions. Luckily, my boys are always very willing to pose and goof around for me, so I have live models to use for reference photos or sketching. I can't get anymore real then that! Hopefully that will help me to fully capture children's true inner sparkle.

I can't wait to clean them up, and get on to the final sketches then start the plasticine illo.s....

I'd love any crit.s or suggestions as always :)

4 comments:

Andrew Finnie said...

Hello Suzanne, how are you. Great sketches. I like the middle one th best I think. The bottom one is great. It is cute and all that and will make a good work, yet I have the feeling the subject looks familiar.

So for portfolio work maybe something else that won't blend in so much???

Mind you I really like that bottom one!!!!!!!! It's wonderfully balanced and fun. So maybe ignore this!!! ;)

Suzanne Del Rizzo said...

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for popping over :)

Yes the subject happens to be my oldest son....he loves to reinact battle scenes of any kind, if he's not pretending to be a pirate he is a WW2 fighter pilot etc. Ha ha

Thanks so much for the feedback...I will definitely need to work on these more...composition and balance haven't really been addressed, since they are just quick close-up brainstorming sketches.

I'd love to try to rework the top one too...I was going for a worm's eye view(that will take a few tries to get right).

Thanks so much for the input!!

Shirley said...

Congratulations about CS5!!! Woooohooo! I'm so happy that you got that big discount...yippee for hubby!!

And these are going to be amazing, Suzanne...such lively gestures and expressions..I can't wait! : )
Thank you so much for your kind visit..it really means a lot!

Suzanne Del Rizzo said...

HI Shirely,
I am sooo excited to learn the CS5...I hope it won't be too frustrating...I'm starting from the beginning.
I had a fun time with the pirate sketches...Thanks for the feedback, they still need more work but they are a start:)
I just got a new facial expressions book, so I plan to do a bunch of facial studies and experimentation, as I find those the toughest in plasticine(and any medium really).
Thanks for popping by :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails